L-Factor Reborn: The Rebirth of L-Factor
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The somewhat rebirth of the L-Factor forums, without any prior permission to do so! (Ryojin was here)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
L-factor.net has returned! Please head there!
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Oh hai.
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby Viper718 Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:14 am

» Ryojin's stuff
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby Ryojin Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:34 am

» Help with Python
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby theariesfantasy Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:27 am

» Hikkikomori Much?
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby theariesfantasy Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:45 am

» manga deletion
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby Ryojin Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:16 am

» Captain's Log
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby Sabriel Orion Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:25 pm

» The maniac's complexities.
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby Donnymaniac Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:18 pm

» Me, Myself and I
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby Nudi_Alf Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 am

» Life's a bitch, but I love it
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby Cromell Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:14 pm

» Naruto
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Emptyby silentkiller Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Navigation
 Home
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
 Calendar
 Who's Online
Poll
What Do You Think of the New L-Factor Reborn?
Awesome! It Kicks Ass!
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap15%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 15% [ 6 ]
Great! Love it!
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 12% [ 5 ]
It's Pretty Good.
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap7%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
A Fine Replacement for the Hole In My Heart After Losing the Old LF
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap41%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 41% [ 17 ]
It Could Be Better
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap12%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 12% [ 5 ]
Not That Good
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
It's Bad
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap5%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
I Hate It!
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
YOU SUCK AT MAKING FORUMS!
Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_lcap7%Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 41
Affiliates
Reality Lapse (Anime)

Statistics
We have 83 registered users
The newest registered user is Jakemitch92

Our users have posted a total of 3984 messages in 336 subjects

Subs VS Dubs!

Go down 
+9
Shadowed Luminous
Black Joker
fathernelson
Agriagropolis
mrevilyevil
RCpaladin123
Viper718
theariesfantasy
Ryojin
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ryojin
Admin
Ryojin

ForumPoints : 11300
Job/hobbies : Game Development

Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 2:17 am

Viper718 wrote:
someone who can convey emotion well with a large range of pitch variation can then produce a much higher quality emotional dialogue or scene.

Not really. You see, it's pretty much the same thing, just in a different pitch.

Viper718 wrote:

Another thing I will bring up, even though I dismissed it earlier in this post, is that some of the time, a voice fits a character. I will give a terrible example for it, mostly because it's fresh in my mind, but Suzume (Suzie) from Koniki no Gash Bell (Zatch Bell) is god awful in the English dub, and makes you just not want her around ever. In the japanese dub (which I JUST started watching recently, as I had watched the English dub prior, and can say I very much enjoyed it), she has a much more enjoyable voice, and it makes you want to like her more. Now, this arguement has no great amount of substance, as another VA could have been put in that place to make the role better/worse. This statement is very true, and it is not often the case that a voice is incorrect for a role in the English dubs, but it does happen from time to time.

Slightly related point of interest: It seems that the more kid-friendly an anime is, the worse it's dubbing is likely to be, especially with young female voices. Well, any female voices, actually.

Viper718 wrote:
My biggest problem, though, with English dubs is sometimes, to meet the lip flaps, they change the line to something terribly awful, or even worse, change the dialogue to something totally different that changes the type of person you see the character as. This scenario doesn't happen all to often, but it does happen on ocassion.

It's far more common to just edit the video than to change the dialogue... It often isn't even really that noticeable when it does occur.

Viper718 wrote:
And obviously there are those who WILL say things like that, and those that will argue that their point is the only valid point, but the cold hard truth is that it isn't.

That is my exact reason for even creating this thread. Almost all anime fans I know think like that.
Back to top Go down
KEN-OH
KEN-OH

ForumPoints : 10600

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 6:40 am

i don't like eng dubs much I only watch them when I have no other choice, Japanese dubs are the best for me, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Ryojin
Admin
Ryojin

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 9:26 am

KEN-OH wrote:
i don't like eng dubs much I only watch them when I have no other choice, Japanese dubs are the best for me, I guess.

Care to give your reasoning for this?
Back to top Go down
Cromell
Cromell

ForumPoints : 10439
Job/hobbies : Lots of them

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 5:43 pm

I agree with KEN-OH.

Reasoning?

After watching many, many series I guess I simply got used to japanese voices and, frankly, english dubbing feels awkward to me. While some dubbings are, in fact, very professional and high quality, they somehow don't fit for me. It's probably because japanese voices tend to carry more emotions than english.

Not to mention all those lousy dubbings where voice actors don't even bother to actually spell japanese names correctly... This must be some kind of revenge for horrible english lines told by most japanese voice actors in many series... Razz
Back to top Go down
Logan
Admin
Logan

ForumPoints : 10204

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 pm

I prefer subs, but only for certain anime.

Dubs are good for some of the more licenced anime series that hit us in the western world. I couldn't imagine watching GitS or Bebop in Japanese to be honest. I find the voice acting to be too damn good to want it any other way.

For the lesser known/internet downloaded series fresh from the east (that probably never made it's way to us) or a series that has god awful English voice acting, then subs are the way. Also, the raw Japanese you get from these types of anime is a very good way of learning the language, if you are into that sort of thing. I've learnt a great deal more on grammar rules, sentence structure and just general words and mannerisms from watching Japanese voice acted anime with subtitles. Also a good way to test out what know.

I would actually like to be able to watch a series without subs or dubs, but I'm not quite at that level of fluency. In fact, since I stopped studying it as an elective at university, I've all but forgotten a great deal. But you get the original, as intended, script this way. Often, due to translation issues, you lose a lot of the actual meaning behind the story/script. This is also true with games from Japan. There's a difference between the story we see (as westerners) compared to the story that the Japanese see. Sometimes, this is minor and just a few wording/grammatical things, but sometimes we don't get the full picture or something is missed out completely.

So, in terms of subs or dubs, definitely subs unless the English acting is amazingly brilliant (if it has my favourite voice actors it gets a watch just for that) that I can actually watch the series.
Back to top Go down
KEN-OH
KEN-OH

ForumPoints : 10600

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Cromell wrote:
I agree with KEN-OH.

Reasoning?

After watching many, many series I guess I simply got used to japanese voices and, frankly, english dubbing feels awkward to me. While some dubbings are, in fact, very professional and high quality, they somehow don't fit for me. It's probably because japanese voices tend to carry more emotions than english.

Not to mention all those lousy dubbings where voice actors don't even bother to actually spell japanese names correctly... This must be some kind of revenge for horrible english lines told by most japanese voice actors in many series... Razz
totally agree with you too
thats exactly how I feel, I mean I can't feel like watching an anime if I watched it dubbed really.... Razz
Back to top Go down
Ryojin
Admin
Ryojin

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 9:04 pm

I still completely disbelieve that Japanese voices carry any more or less emotion than English voices. I think you sub-lovers are just unable to recognize the more subtle emotions of the English-speaking people's voices.

As for the spelling of Japanese names in dubs... How often do you actually see a name spelled out in dubs? At any rate, it doesn't matter how it's spelled, it matters how it's pronounced.
Back to top Go down
Cromell
Cromell

ForumPoints : 10439
Job/hobbies : Lots of them

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 5:25 am

The fact that I believe japanese voices carry "more emotion" is entirely based on my own feeling. Maybe because it's not as "subtle" as you say English is. Plus, I really, really like how this language sounds. Again, it's a matter of personal tastes.

PS. You got me there, Ryojin, by spelling I meant pronouncing. Totally my bad, man.
Back to top Go down
Viper718
Web-Admin
Professional Hitman
Viper718

ForumPoints : 11182
Job/hobbies : Grim Reaper

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Ryojin wrote:
I still completely disbelieve that Japanese voices carry any more or less emotion than English voices. I think you sub-lovers are just unable to recognize the more subtle emotions of the English-speaking people's voices.

This is a bit biased, on both sides. People who say Japanese voices "carry" more emotion are just blind and fooling themselves. People who say english voices are more subtly emotional are also kidding themselves. Neither is necessarily better. The reason a lot of people prefer japanese over english is not because of how emotional they sound, but because you identify the voice to the art better, and thus hear the emotion more when the voice you feel fits the character best is present.

The biggest reason people say that japanese carries more emotion, also, is because as english speakers, we can hear the fuck ups of the dubbers. If you don't know japanese, and the mannerisms of their speach in daily life, then when you hear a japanese dub (w/ sub), you hear it as flawless, because you are not naturally adept to the language. Hell, who knows, Japanese people might think of their dubs and go "god, those people suck at voice acting".

But hey, that's what I think. I still prefer most japanese voices to english voices cause I feel they fit the art better, but I do enjoy the occassional english dub, and won't really complain if forced to watch in english.
Back to top Go down
Ryojin
Admin
Ryojin

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 pm

You can't deny the English emotions are more subtle than Japanese in speaking voices... It might not be an enormous amount, but there is a noticeable difference. You do have a very good point about the native languages, though...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Subs VS Dubs!   Subs VS Dubs! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Subs VS Dubs!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
L-Factor Reborn: The Rebirth of L-Factor :: General Media Discussion :: Anime Discussions-
Jump to: